I have completed my senior project course, and am soon moving on to my final semester at Wilmington University. I’ve put together a Trailer of the game for you to check out. I wish I could say I plan on putting more polish on this game for a release, but I just got a job in Baltimore, Maryland. Full time classes and a work schedule won’t leave much time for a side project.
I’ve made a lot of progress, but there’s still more to do. Every time I came to make a new post, I was thinking to myself that “I just need to finish [this] up” or “This doesn’t look quite right yet.” I finally realize, that’s the point of this, to show the process.
Some of the big changes here are graphical. It’s finally starting to look like a game. The models and animations were taken from opengameart.org. I just don’t have the time to do the art I need. Also, they were hurriedly inserted. One of the many things I need to do is change up some code so I take advantage of Unity’s animation event system. It shouldn’t be difficulty, but I have more important things to work on right now.
Something finished after the video was made is the saving and loading feature, and the level select map. They work completely. Saving and loading is something that won’t make it into any web player builds for obvious reasons, but the game was never intended to be made for the web player.
I’ve begun to adopt Unity’s Navmesh and Pathfinder features. The big white blocks in the test level are there to show that off. Right now, the controls of both the player and the enemies use a combination of the two. The result is an effect that makes it look like characters enemies have little control over their own momentum. Additionally, some of the AI isn’t quite as polished as it needs to be. The rangers can get briefly stuck in little loops of ActCowardly() and ActAggresively() if the player is hiding around a corner.
I’m currently getting prepared to start making greybox level designs. Two features I want to add before that are enemy spawn points and friendly NPC interaction.
One question on my mind is, of the 13 acts of the game, how many individual levels do I want? One, two, or three. I need to work on my boss mechanics…
With the recent developments in the game, I found it prudent to update the design document. These are just two of the five design documents including the Master document, Art & Sound document, and Technical document. Here it is for your reading pleasure.
I’ve begun to focus my efforts on expanding the interface and inventory system. My work lately has been on the following aspects of the game.
- Random Item Generation
- Inventory Management
I didn’t have much to report in week four, but before I knew it I was all wrapped up in getting ready for the Philly Game Jam and recovering from the cold I got while I was there. A few weeks later, and here I am again. I’ll now report the progress I made before and since the game jam.
I made these models for an assignment for which we were to make a building’s exterior and some environment. I chose to make something I could potentially use for my senior project.
I started working on the ability to attack targets and enemies. I quickly realized that a fundamental aspect of my game revolves around two key features, the ability to swap the active player character with characters on the bench, and the ability to equip items that define the character’s attacks.
I’m in the process of adding XML serialization, something I’ve done with many past projects, and an large inventory system, something I’ve never done in a game. Pretty soon, I should have any number of pre-defined characters and items. It should be pretty simple to create a random item generator. With all this serializable data, save and load is just around the corner. This game is practically making itself.
Over this past week, I accomplished two main goals. The first is that I just about “finished” the design documents. I’ll be posting them here soon. The second goal was in taking the first steps in a basic prototype. It’s just unfinished character and camera movement, but I’m liking what I see.
I fished around the unity store and found an excellent medieval village for free. It consisted of only two different houses, but that can go a long way with variation in rotation. It figured it would be an excellent source of prototype graphics, but I will probably end up using these houses later on. Originally, I had intended to create all my assets myself. After viewing what was available on the asset store, I may end up buying a few assets. I was pleasantly surprised.
I’m starting my third week now. I should have basic game-play, and more polished controls and camera work, by next week. Maybe even my inventory system. I’m right on schedule!
When I realized I was going to be working on my senior project, got to work on a few things I knew I was going to need. A game idea, documentation templates, and a plan.
Before the semester even began, I was excited and ready to go.
I took advantage of new features available through Google Drive, including the app “Gantter.”
Fun with charts aside, I quickly developed a game concept. Because of the rich history I have been developing with my sandsea setting, I chose it as the setting for my senior project game. The title of the game is “Sandsea: Shadow of Umbri.” It chronicles the journey of an escaped slave as he fights his way out of an oppressive and militaristic country.
For obvious reasons, it became apparent that very few of my classmates were as prepared as I was to get to work. I’ve already penciled down the basic mechanics of the game. Now, it’s time to fill my design document templates.